May 15, 2005

Clublife

Clublife: An Irish-American bouncer at trendy NYC danceclubs frequented by Italian-Americans ("Guidos" as he calls them) gives the inside story on his job. Summary: Bouncing does not encourage inter-ethnic amity.

Big "Stan" is a bouncer at the club... Stan is a very large and very dark black man. At the beginning of the night, when greeting Stan, I feel as if I'm shaking hands with a catcher's mitt. Everything about the guy is just really, really big and really, really black.

Simply put, Stan wants to be left alone. So do I, but as a big, blockheaded white-guy bouncer, it's easy for me, because I can blend into the woodwork with the twenty other big, blockheaded white guys on the staff. A six-foot-seven, three hundred twenty pound black man isn't going to fly under anyone's radar anywhere, and Stan, therefore, becomes a magnet for every misfit Guido customer who walks past. On Saturday night, I stood nearby as he engaged in an animated conversation with one of these, the customer continually shaking Stan's hand and embracing him as if he'd been reunited with a long-lost relative.

"Who's that?" I asked. "Your retarded stepbrother?"

"Oh, s---. Ha ha."

"You know that guy?"

"Nope."

"Just another dopey white guy who feels the need to validate himself by saying hello to the big black dude?"

"Yup."...

Later in the night, yet another Guido made his approach:

"Yo! Damn, man. You like the biggest m----------- I ever seen!"

"What's up, man?"

"Yo, my brother just started doing test [testosterone], and he's gettin' really f------ big. You ever do dat s---, man?"

"F--- that s---," replied Stan. "Guys like me is why guys like you need test in the first place."

And here's my article on Frank Salter's ethological study of bouncers in Munich.


My published articles are archived at iSteve.com -- Steve Sailer

No comments: