August 29, 2005

Isn't it time to retire the phrase "white-bread" as a term of ethnic abuse?

In Slate.com, an article by Neal Pollack begins:

A full-page ad for Monster.com in this week's Sports Illustrated shows a clean-cut, white, college-graduate type in an empty baseball stadium... Hovering above our white-bread college grad are these words: "You are the General Manager of you."

Don't you think it's about time to retire the phrase "white-bread" as a put-down of white Protestants (or of white gentiles in general)? I'm not Protestant myself, but as a former marketing researcher, it strikes me as an embarrassingly out-of-date ethnic slur. These days, white bread appears from my observations to be eaten most heavily by inner city blacks, while the kind of person Pollack disparages as "white-bread" would barely touch the stuff.


My published articles are archived at iSteve.com -- Steve Sailer

No comments: